Sunday, March 8, 2009

Ready! Set! Go!

There are probably a lot of people who don't know (or can't believe) this, but I used to be a runner. My love of running started right after high school and continued for about five years, until a series of injuries discouraged me and I finally decided to call it quits.....until now.

On Friday I met with a physical therapist who specializes in running injuries. I told him about my high arches and my messed up knees and asked him if there was any way I could fix my problems and run again. So now I have a stretching/strengthening program that I am supposed to do 3-4 times a week, and some new arch supports that I LOVE ($30, I was worried they'd be more!) The PT believes that if I can strengthen my leg and back muscles, I can overcome the problems with my feet, therefore relieving the problems with my knees. I also have to focus on stablizing my "core" when I am running to balance myself out when running (apparently my right leg is longer than my left leg, I had no idea.) I am supposed to work up to it slowly, but hopefully in a month or two I should be able to run 10-15 miles a week. It's not a lofty goal, but a doable one where hopefully I can maintain a good level of exercise and not do long-term damage to my knees.

All I can say is I hope this works because I just love the freeing feeling of running and the endorphin high that I just don't get from any other exercise I have tried. Plus I need to improve my speed so I can keep up with Kate. Seriously, for anyone who wants a workout, feel free to take her for an afternoon to the mall or the zoo and try to keep up with her - she's the fastest 18-month-old I've ever seen!!

10 comments:

NaDell said...

So, are you going to run before or after Keith's work? Or are you going to find someone to come over every time you go? That's what I can't figure out. I'm sure I have the time, I just don't want to get up early and I can't really go out for a walk at 10pm. Maybe, if only I wasn't so lazy.
Good for you!

emily j said...

We have a treadmill, and then when the weather gets nice...uh, I don't know....definitely not in the morning, since keith goes in before 6am!!

Sandra said...

I am so happy for you! I know how much you LOVE running. When I'm in good shape, I like it too, there is something so great about it! I hope it all works out for you!

The Bostons said...

That's AWESOME!!! Way to go!

I'm pretty impressed you went to a PT to figure out all of the little things that get in the way of running. That is great that it can all be overcome!

The Bostons said...

That's AWESOME!!! Way to go!

I'm pretty impressed you went to a PT to figure out all of the little things that get in the way of running. That is great that it can all be overcome!

lindsy said...

I wish I had the desire to be a runner. It really looks like fun. Maybe after this next baby I'll give it a try again. It really is a great feeling when you're all done

rachel said...

Hey. let's totally do a half marathon toghether!

Alice-Anne said...

I didn't know you were a runner or that you had so many injuries...sorry. But good for you for getting back into it! Hope everything goes well!

Natalie said...

Hi Emily...I'm "watching" Connor and Alton at this very moment I'm checking blogs. :) They're playing wii.
Anyway...I hate running! Thats all I can say. Always have, always will. I must have some sort of asthma as I'm always out of breath, get side aches, and also have high arches that are a pain! (I'll have to talk to you about those supports. that sounds nice).

Good for you though....I wish I had that desire/ability to run! :)

Megan said...

Yay, a runner! Be my running buddy? I'm happy for you. I have had some strange knee thing all winter and haven't run much, but I'm itching to get out there again.